Loading...

ISTRIADUCTION

All Year | No Working time | Free Entrance

 

BOLJUN is an ancient little town in the northeast of Istria, in the Lupoglav Municipality. It was built around the well-preserved medieval castle. The town has a wide view of the Boljunčica Valley and the Učka mountain range. From the 15th to the end of the 17th century this not a town, not a village place reached the peak of its development. There was a judge and town mayors, numerous altars were taken care of by fraternities, glagolithic script was used and taught. Since then, Boljun has lost its importance and life has almost stopped. However, the town has not collapsed but surprises every tourist with pleasant prospects.

Church of St. Cosmas and Damian dates back to the 12th century. It can be found at the entrance into the place, beside the former main gate (destroyed after World War I to allow large vehicles entry). A Glagolithic inscription dated 1543 was built next to the wall of the sacristy. Latin inscriptions (1698 above the entrance, 1705 on the triumphal arch) give evidence of later restorations of the church.

The votive altar of Gaius Valerius Priscus, a fabric merchant from Aquileia, is dedicated to an unknown deity and dates back to the Roman period. It was found in the vicinity of Boljun and was placed in today’s position during the period of Italian government (1921 – 1943) to be used as flag post. Next to it there is the župan’s (mayor) table, a reminder of the times when Boljun had its own town government.

The Castle of Boljun was built and later extended between the 11th and 17th centuries. In times of war it was a safe haven for the inhabitants of Boljun and the surrounding area (in 1332, 1612 and so on). Until recently there was a pond in the centre of its courtyard, but it was filled in and today is used for performances. Next to the northern corner of the Castle there is the small gate.

The Parish Church of St. George features a Late Gothic polygonal sanctuary. Numerous original Glagolithic inscriptions can be found in the church interior. The Latin inscription on the bell tower (1645) leads to the conclusion that the bell tower of Boljun is one of the oldest in Istria.

Church of St. Fabian and Sebastian, also from 12th century, is located along the climb from the valley to Boljun.

At the foot of Boljun after only couple of minutes long walk from road you can find the area called Troja and the ruins of the church of Sv. Peter where are found fragments of knit ornaments from IX. century, which are now preserved in the Historical and Naval Museum in Rijeka. If you continue to walk on the same path you will come to spring Studenac and Perila (place where local women came to wash the laundry in history).

 

BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
BOLJUN - WELL-HIDDEN ISTRIAN SECRET
2017-08-28T07:14:41+00:00 By |Lupoglav, Sights|

About the Author:

Manager by profession. Photographer by passion.